Consumer, Sports, Public Safety, Enterprise, Industrial, and Other Applications for Body-Worn and Mounted Cameras: Global Market Analysis and Forecasts
The smartphone has revolutionized and changed the way we use cameras, making the camera highly portable and convenient, combined with the ability to easily share and upload pictures to social media or photo hosting sites. In many ways, wearable cameras are an extension of the smartphone camera, enabling hands-free functionality that allows users to capture both planned and spontaneous moments from unique perspectives, by using body or head mounts, or simply clipping the camera to clothing.
The wearable camera market is still in the early stages of development and is experiencing rapid growth as use cases for wearable cameras expand. The consumer segment continues to grow beyond its core base of sports and adventure enthusiasts and into lifelogging and capturing photos and videos from life moments and special events. At the same time, wearable cameras are beginning to proliferate more widely in the public safety and enterprise sectors. Body-worn cameras for police officers are used with increasing frequency, and enterprise users are experimenting with a wide variety of applications from retail to hospitality to user experience research. Broadly speaking, wearable camera adoption will be strongest in areas where there is a clear and specific use case or context in which the camera is used. Tractica forecasts that wearable camera shipments will increase from 5.6 million in 2014 to 30.6 million units annually by 2020, representing a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 33%.
This Tractica report analyzes the market for wearable cameras, providing insights into the drivers and barriers that impact this new market segment, including an assessment of some of the technology issues surrounding market development. The study provides detailed forecasts and analysis of how wearable cameras are being adopted in sports, public safety, consumer, enterprise, industrial, healthcare, and other applications and how the market will grow between 2013 and 2020. The report also provides strategic recommendations for the value chain with a competitive SWOT analysis of the key players in this market.
Key Questions Addressed:
• What are the primary use cases for wearable cameras today and how will they evolve in the years ahead?
• Who are the key players to watch in the wearable camera market?
• Which technologies and trends are key factors in realizing the market potential of wearable cameras?
• How will the adoption of wearable cameras vary by region?
• Why has GoPro succeeded in this market and what are some of the key learnings from its success?
• What are some of the main barriers to adoption of wearable cameras?
• Will privacy be a major issue in how wearable cameras are adopted?
• Will the latest trend around smartphone live video streaming apps help the adoption of wearable cameras?
Who Needs This Report?
• Wearable device manufacturers
• Consumer electronics vendors
• Digital camera vendors
• Wearable camera vendors
• Smartphone vendors
• Photo and video software companies
• Wearable application developers
• Semiconductor and component companies
• Mobile network operators
• Investor community