Mostly hidden from media hype and mainstream consumers, 3D sensing technology has been used for niche enterprise and industrial applications, such as mapping and oil and gas exploration, for several years. The technology has traditionally relied primarily on the laser as a sensor. With advances in computer vision technology over the past few years, however, it has become possible to capture 3D images using a simple camera (or a pair of cameras). The low cost and versatility of this computer vision technology has caught on in recent years and found a wide range of application markets that include automotive, consumer and mobile, industrial, and medical, among others.
Tractica's analysis indicates that the market for 3D imaging hardware and software will grow from $3.2 billion in 2014 to $24.9 billion in 2024 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 23%. The consumer and mobile and the automotive application markets were the two largest in 2014, accounting for $1.2 billion and $1.0 billion, respectively. The robotics and industrial market will sport the highest growth rate of 26.9% among all the application markets to become worth $3.9 billion by 2024. Overall, the consumer and mobile market will continue to be the largest market for 3D imaging technology, accounting for $10.1 billion in 2024 and growing at a CAGR of 23.3%.
This Tractica report examines the market trends and technology issues surrounding 3D imaging technologies and presents 10-year forecasts for hardware and software during the period from 2015 through 2024. The report presents in-depth analysis of 3D cameras and sensors, as well as their enabling technologies, and also includes detailed profiles of 26 key industry players. Market forecasts, segmented by world region, include 3D imaging hardware unit shipments, device pricing and revenue, software licenses, and revenue for four key application markets.
Key Questions Addressed:
- How are cameras being used to reconstruct 3D images? Which sensors are most popular for 3D imaging?
- What are the main technology trends that are driving the evolution of 3D imaging?
- How will 3D imaging have an impact on various types of user interfaces?
- What are the key applications, now and in the future, for 3D imaging technology?
- Who are the key players in the 3D imaging market, and what are their relative strengths and weaknesses?
- What is the size of the market opportunity for various 3D imaging applications, and why will some grow faster than others in the years ahead?
Who Needs This Report?
- Consumer electronics manufacturers
- Industrial automation and robotics companies
- Medical device manufacturers
- Automotive companies
- Semiconductor and component vendors
- Computer vision application technology companies
- Software developers and integrators
- Government agencies
- Investor community