The market for healthcare wearables is very much in its infancy, though there is a considerable amount of activity across the healthcare value chain. Wearables are being seen as an extension of the digital transformation of healthcare, helping pharmaceutical companies to expand clinical trials, enabling insurance companies to engage with customers by incentivizing healthier living, helping healthcare providers to improve the delivery of healthcare, and empowering patients by providing them access to their own health data.
Healthcare wearables are part of the ongoing evolution of wearables, as they move from being fitness and wellness devices to being able to directly impact medical conditions, improve diagnosis and care, and ultimately save lives. Chronic medical conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes are the primary targets for many of the emerging healthcare wearable companies, as they impact a large percentage of the population. Eldercare, whether in a healthcare facility or as part of remote monitoring in the home, is another key focus for healthcare wearables, providing real-time continuous feeds of vital signs, as well as alerts in case of any anomalies. However, the market does face challenges related to the accuracy of sensors and consumers’ level of confidence in wearables, optimization of design and user experience, the need for user education about the capabilities of healthcare wearables, and the challenges that smaller healthcare wearable companies face in obtaining regulatory and insurance approvals.
This Tractica report covers the market for healthcare wearables, providing comprehensive coverage of the various healthcare wearable device types, their specific roles, and adoption timelines within healthcare. The devices covered include smart watches, smart glasses, fitness trackers, smart footwear, smart apparel, posture monitors, movement sensors, wrist devices, heart straps, headbands, wearable patches, wearable cameras, pain management and delivery pods. The report also includes market sizing and forecasts from 2015 through 2021, providing shipments and revenues.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What are the key wearable device types that will have an impact on healthcare?
- What are the primary application areas for healthcare wearables?
- What is the timeline for adoption of healthcare wearables?
- Which companies are innovating in the healthcare wearables market?
- In the larger context of the wearables market, what is the significance of healthcare applications?
- What are the near and long term directions for healthcare wearables?
Who Needs This Report?
- Healthcare wearable device vendors
- Medical device, appliance, and equipment companies
- Semiconductor and component companies
- Health systems, payers, and provider networks
- Pharmaceutical and life sciences companies
- Remote patient monitoring companies
- Government agencies
- Investor community