Head-up displays (HUDs) are information displays that are projected into the user’s or wearer’s field of vision to allow a seamless superimposition of relevant operational information and real-world elements. These displays, which first found use in fighter planes during World War II, have expanded their applications to include commercial jets and automobiles, and are increasingly found in recreation, industry, and public safety.
Tractica believes that the HUD market will experience strong growth over the next few years due to the convergence of several key factors. Innovations in other technology sectors have led to the development of more advanced technological capabilities, often in smaller, lower-cost, and more power-efficient form factors. In addition, consumers have become accustomed to having access to information at their fingertips, thanks to the ubiquity of smartphones, and are seeking similar levels of connectivity and information in their vehicles, at work, and at play. According to Tractica’s analysis, the two largest application markets for HUDs will be the automotive and wearable segments.
This Tractica report examines the market trends and technology issues surrounding HUDs and provides market sizing and forecasts for the period from 2015 through 2025. Market drivers and barriers, technology issues, and key applications are analyzed in depth, and the report also includes detailed profiles of 17 key industry players. Market forecasts, segmented by world region, HUD type, and application market, include unit shipments, average selling prices, and revenue.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What is the size of the market opportunity, in terms of unit shipments and revenue, for HUDs within the automotive, aerospace, maritime, and wearables markets?
- What will be the long-range trends for average selling prices for OEM and aftermarket HUD systems within each application market?
- What are some of the key drivers of demand for HUDs within each application market?
- What are the main barriers to more widespread HUD adoption?
- What are the key technology issues facing HUD manufacturers and users today, and how are these likely to be addressed over the next several years?
- Who are the key players in the HUD market and what are their relative strengths and weaknesses?
Who Needs This Report?
- HUD technology developers and manufacturers
- Semiconductor and component companies
- ADAS system developers and integrators
- Automotive, aerospace, maritime, and industrial equipment manufacturers
- Virtual and augmented reality technology developers
- Government agencies
- Investor community