Rapid advances in technology and economies of scale have enabled consumer unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), commonly known as drones, to be prototyped and commercially launched at an affordable price. Consumer drones are not only attracting the usual flight hobbyists and enthusiasts, but also getting into the hands of many who are willing to pay for the fun experience, experimenting with taking breathtaking aerial shots, or generating a side income. Due to emerging cloud-based applications and data services, the consumer drone industry is enjoying a period of rapid growth.
The consumer drone market is off to a very strong start, with many prominent companies and investors showing confidence in drone technology. Worldwide sales of consumer drones reached $1.9 billion in 2015 and Tractica expects that the market will continue to grow rapidly over the next few years, while providing significant opportunities to various industry participants, reaching a market value of $5.0 billion by the end of 2021. Tractica forecasts that worldwide consumer drone unit shipments will increase from 6.4 million units in 2015 to 67.7 million units annually by 2021.
This report examines the global market trends for consumer drones and provides 7-year market sizing and forecasts for consumer drone shipments and revenue during the period from 2015 through 2021. The report focuses on crucial market drivers and challenges, in addition to assessing the most important technology issues that will influence market development. In total, 73 key and emerging industry players are profiled. Market forecasts are segmented by world region and by airframe type.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What is the current state of the consumer drone market and how will it develop over the next several years?
- What are the key drivers of market growth, and the key challenges faced by the industry?
- What are the main technology issues faced by industry participants?
- Who are the most important players in the consumer drone market, and what are their key products and services?
- What is the size of the consumer drone market opportunity, in terms of units and revenue?
- What are the future pricing trends for each consumer drone airframe type?
Who Needs This Report?
- Drone manufacturers
- Semiconductor and component vendors
- Software developers and integrators
- Drone research organizations and labs
- Academic institutions
- Government agencies
- Investor community