Virtual digital assistants (VDAs), which are automated software applications or platforms that assist the human user through understanding natural language in written or spoken form, are rapidly gaining traction in consumer and enterprise markets alike. While smartphone-based consumer VDAs are currently the best-known offerings, virtual assistant technologies are also beginning to penetrate other device types including smart watches, fitness trackers, PCs, smart home systems, and automobiles. Consumer and enterprise use cases for VDAs are proliferating rapidly thanks to accelerated innovation and scalability of underlying technologies, such as natural language processing (NLP) and artificial intelligence (AI).
Many of the world's technology giants believe VDAs will be vital to their businesses in the future, and they are investing significant resources to capture market share at this early stage. Consumer VDAs are deployed by application players and platform providers to serve consumers as a multi-purpose assistant with the ability to act as a conduit between consumers and a range of companies and services. Meanwhile, enterprise VDAs are deployed for interaction with a specific enterprise, using channels the enterprise typically controls, such as phone/interactive voice response (IVR) systems, websites, mobile applications, kiosks, and wearables. Tractica forecasts that unique active consumer VDA users will grow from 390 million in 2015 to 1.8 billion worldwide by the end of 2021. During the same period, unique active enterprise VDA users will rise from 155 million in 2015 to 843 million by 2021.
This Tractica report examines the global market opportunity for consumer and enterprise VDAs, providing market sizing and forecasts for active users and revenue for the period from 2015 through 2021. The report includes an analysis of market drivers and barriers, use cases, technology issues, and key industry players. The VDA device and access types assessed in the study include smartphones, tablets, smart watches, fitness trackers, PCs, smart home devices, and automobiles.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What is the current state of the virtual digital assistant market and how will it develop over the next decade?
- What are the primary business models and use cases that will drive greater VDA adoption?
- What are the key drivers of market growth, and the key challenges faced by the industry, in each world region?
- Who are the key players in the VDA market, what is their competitive positioning, and which ones are poised for greatest success in the years ahead?
- What is the size of the VDA market opportunity?
Who Needs This Report?
- Consumer device manufacturers
- VDA platform vendors
- Semiconductor and component vendors
- Application developers
- Customer service technology vendors
- User interface technology companies
- Investor community