As virtual reality (VR) becomes more pervasive in the consumer market, and adoption and awareness begin to increase significantly, it is mobile VR that is leading the charge and giving many users their first taste of a new way of experiencing games and media. Tractica estimates that more than 88% of all consumer-grade VR head-mounted displays (HMDs) sold in 2016 were mobile, and the firm anticipates that the mobile domination of the VR market will continue for years to come, with mobile HMDs constituting three-quarters of annual consumer-grade HMD shipments in 2021.
Despite the momentum behind mobile VR, however, Tractica’s analysis indicates that there is much work still to be done. VR is an extremely complex technology and there are many obstacles to a frictionless, optimized user experience. Over time, technological breakthroughs in optics, processing efficiencies, cloud computing, software application development, and streaming, as well as increased access to higher-quality broadband, will improve and accelerate the general availability of consistently high-quality VR experiences. While VR for mobile is currently a less immersive experience than PC and console-based VR, Tractica expects the gap to narrow between 2017 and 2021. There is a real possibility that mobile will become not only the choice for simpler VR experiences, but the choice for the vast majority of all VR experiences.
This Tractica report provides a detailed analysis of market issues, technology issues, key industry players, and market sizing and forecasts for mobile VR hardware and content. Hardware forecasts include unit shipments and revenue for mobile HMDs, cameras, gamepads, and other VR-specific controllers. Content revenue forecasts are segmented into gaming and media. All market data covers the period from 2014 to 2021 and is segmented by world region. The report also includes profiles of 26 key players in the mobile VR market.
Key Questions Addressed:
- How large is the market opportunity for mobile VR hardware and content?
- How will the market be segmented by hardware category, content type, and world region?
- How will this market grow in the coming years and which factors will drive this growth?
- Which factors could inhibit growth during the forecast period?
- What are the main technology trends and issues in the mobile VR market?
- Who are the leading providers of mobile VR technology and how do their go-to-market strategies differ?
Who Needs This Report?
- Mobile VR headset manufacturers
- Mobile VR accessory manufacturers
- Mobile device manufacturers
- Media publishers, distributors, and creators
- Semiconductor and component companies
- Games publishers
- Application developers
- Investor community