This report, Lab Automation Markets analyzes the current and potential world markets for medical laboratory automation systems and equipment - both for clinical diagnostics and drug discovery research laboratories.
Many clinical laboratories are facing a number of issues that are challenging their ability to remain competitive. These challenges have been caused by the reduction of government reimbursement rates for laboratory tests, cost-restraint measures established by the managed care industry, and the continuing trend toward containment of national health care costs. In order to survive in the future, it will be necessary for labs to run more tests; test in fewer sites; operate with less equipment; maintain lower operating costs; hire less skilled labor; and harness additional automation.
Since Kalorama last looked at the market two years ago, new systems have been introduced, market share has shifted and alliances and mergers have concluded. These are some of the recent developments that are assessed in the report and considered in market projections:
- Next-Generation vs. Traditional Systems
- Labcyte and Allegro Combine Operations
- Agilent Acquistion of Velocity
- New Closed-Loop Smart Gripper
- Tecan-VWR Alliance
- New Sample Processing Platforms
- High Throughput Flexibility
- Robotics Research Lab Established
- Hamilton Purchase of TekCel
- Low Temperature Sample Storage
- Automated Microplate Processing
Current Market and Forecasts to 2014 for the following segments are included:
As a report with international focus, markets for North America, Europe and Asia are provided. Revenues for clinical labs and drug discovery labs are broken out.
- Sample Transport Systems
- Specimen Handling Systems
- Storage and Retrieval Systems
- Work Stations
- Plate Readers
- Dissolution Testing
- Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS)
Market forecasts are based on an examination of current market conditions and on investigations into the development of new products by key companies.
The market data provide multiple year forecasts for different product segments covered in the report.
The information presented in this report is the result of data gathered from company product literature and other corporate brochures and documents, as well as information found in the scientific and trade press. In addition, interviews were conducted with company executives and researchers. This report also reviews the nature and direction of research and trends, and gives insight into some issues facing the industry. The report profiles several companies involved in developing and marketing these systems. Companies profiled in this report include:
- Abbott Diagnostics
- Agilent Technologies Inc.
- Aurora Biotechnologies
- Beckman Coulter Inc.
- BioTrove Inc.
- Caliper Life Sciences
- CyBio AG…
- Dynacon Inc.
- Eppendorf AG
- Hamilton Storage Technologies Inc.
- Hudson Robotics Inc.
- InnovaSystems Inc.
- Labotix Automation Inc.
- LabVantage Solutions Inc....
- Magellan Biosciences Inc.
- Molecular Devices…
- Motoman Inc.
- Olympus Corp.
- PAA Ltd.
- PaR Systems Inc.
- PerkinElmer Life and Analytical Sciences Inc.
- Roche Diagnostics
- RTS plc
- Siemens Healthcare
- The Automation Partnership
- Tecan Group Ltd.
- ThermoFischer Scientific Inc
- Xiril AG